Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Parish Church of St Mary: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(2). PARISH CHURCH OF ST. MARY, stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material but without dressed quoins; the roofs are covered with stone slabs. The building, which consists of a Chancel, Nave, and South Porch, has little evidence of date, the earliest existing detail being of late I4th or early 15th-century date. The church has been extensively restored.


Architectural Description—The Chancel (17 ¾ ft. by 15 ½ ft.) has a late 14th or early 15th-century E. window of two cinquefoiled ogee lights in a square head. In the S. wall is a 15th-century window of one trefoiled light in a square head. The chancel-arch is modern.


The Nave (26 ½ ft. by 20 ft.) has one window in the N. wall and two in the S. wall, all modern; the early 16th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and flat four-centred head. In the W. wall is a modern window and on the gable is a modern bell-cote.


The South Porch has an outer archway, perhaps of early 16th-century date; it has chamfered jambs and two-centred head.


The Roof of the chancel is ceiled on the soffit but has two trusses with braced collar-beams. The roof of the nave has early 16th-century moulded and embattled wall-plates. The roof of the S. porch is ceiled but has early 16th-century moulded wall-plates.

Fittings—Chest:    In   nave—small,   of hutch-type, with two locks, possibly 17th or early 18th-century. Communion Table:  small modern credence-table incorporating turned legs and rails of a 17th-century communion-table.    Cross: (Plate 33) In churchyard—S. of church, churchyard-cross with octagonal shaft, moulded base octagonal to square, with shaped stops, standing on three steps, 15th or early 16th-century, head missing. Font:  round bowl with chamfered under-edge, plain stem and chamfered base, perhaps 13th-century. Glass:   In chancel—in S.  window,  shield with the quartered arms of Cecil, with   part of a scrolled cartouche, early 17th-century.  Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In churchyard—to Elizabeth Prichard, late 17th-century, flat slab. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to A.W., 1686 ; (2) to W.W., . . . 6 ; (3) to Alce Cristof, 1678-9, with ornamental cross and border. Panelling: In chancel—incorporated in chair, piece of traceried panelling, 15th or early 16th-century, and a piece with 17th-century enriched arcading. In chest, in chancel—two 17th-century ornamental panels. Scratching : On E. jamb of S. doorway—small scratched cross. Stoup: In S. porch—recess with trefoiled ogee head and broken bowl, remains of red paint, probably 14th-century. Miscellanea: In S. porch— carved foliated capital, 13th-century, reset in wall.


Condition—Fairly good.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0033