Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Tre-Cadifor [Trecadivor]: architecture, construction and history

Place name:

St Margarets


Up to 1700



(5). Tre-Cadifor, house and barn, 1 ΒΌ m. N.W. of the church. The House is a rectangular building, the middle block of which is original, with N. and S. extensions of late 17th or early 18th-century date; the N. extension is a two-storeyed stable with the rubble walling laid dry. There are several original windows with chamfered oak frames and rough stone labels. Inside the building, the original doorway, on the E. side of the chimney-stack, has heavy oak posts and lintel with a slot for a draw-bar in the chimney-breast. The original staircase on the opposite side of the chimney-stack has windows of oak baulks. The partition on the N. side of the main living-room is original, and is of wide oak posts and narrow panels.


The Barn, E. of the house, has been extended at either end. The middle part is of three bays and is probably of the same date as the house; it was probably originally timber-framed but the walls are now of dry stone rubble.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0121