Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Lower Mill: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(4). Lower Mill, house, 700 yards S.S.E. of the church, was built probably in the 15th century. It was remodelled late in the 17th century, when it is probable that the existing stone walls were erected to replace former timber-framing. Some of the windows have old solid frames, and one of the ground-floor windows retains its diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building are two old crutches with chamfered a beams at the upper floor-level.


Condition—Derelict and ruinous with the re-: partly fallen in.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0020