Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Court Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(2). COURT FARM, house and barn, 170 yards E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates. The house dates from the 14th century. In the 16th century an addition was built at the E. end of the N. wall which was extended along the whole N. side of the building in the 17th century when a barn was added at the W. end. About 1700 an eastern extension was built and the roof was probably raised at the same time. The S. wall has a battered base, and on the ground and first floors are some solid framed windows; set in the wall is part of a chamfered stone window-head and some ashlar jambs of a window or doorway. In the W. wall of the original building, now covered by the barn, is an original blocked doorway with a two-centred chamfered head. Inside the building some of the ground-floor rooms have chamfered beams and exposed joists. The room in the 16th-century addition has triangular-shaped and roll-moulded joists. Two of the bedrooms each have a panelled 17th-century door with wide framing, and there is a similar door under the staircase. The Barn is divided into four bays by trusses of a modified queen-post type.




Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_row_0017