Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Upper Gwyrlodydd House and Barn: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(3). Upper Gwyrlodydd, house and barn, 600 yards S.S.E. of the church. The House is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The S. wing is of early 16th-century date, and the W. wing is of the 17th century, but may incorporate a portion of the earlier house. The S. wall of the S. wing has corbelled out at the first-floor level a rectangular projecting chimney-stack. The entrance doorway (Plate 35) has an old frame cut out of massive baulks of timber and with a pointed segmental head cut in the soffit of the lintel. In the S. wall of the W. wing is a doorway with a chamfered oak frame. In the E. wall are three windows with old frames and diamond-shaped mullions, and in the N. wall is a similar but smaller window. Inside the building several old partitions remain; they are of timber with chamfered framing and long, narrow panels between the posts The S. room in the S. wing has moulded beams and joists. Against the W. wall of this wing is the foot an original ' crutch.'


The Barn, N.E. of the house is timber-framed, partly weather-boarded and partly covered with stone flags. It is of four bays with tie-beams and strutted rafters.


Condition—Of house, poor ;  of barn, bad.


Plate 35: Doors



Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0031