Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Parish Church of St John the Baptist: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(1). PARISH CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE   BAPTIST stands near the eastern boundary of the parish. It was  built  in 1842,  but has the following fittings : Chest: In naveā€”of oak, with front framed in three panels enriched with lozenge-design, top-rail carved with foliage-ornament, bottom-rail moulded and styles and muntins carved with  guilloche-ornament, lid panelled; early 17th-century.    Font: round bowl, cut down and   retooled, late I2th or early 13th-century, base with shallow moulded edge, probably 13th-century.    Plate:  includes secular bowl of 1682, with lower part enriched with acanthus-leaf repousse work and with two cast scroll handles at sides.   Pulpit: two sides only, each having bolection-moulded panels forming a geometrical design, with a boss carved with a  grotesque beast-head and foliage in the middle, frieze below enriched with reed-ornament, base with honeysuckle in relief and cornice  with  dentil ornament; at the angles and against the S. wall are Ionic columns on panelled bases; early to mid 17th-century, book-board and pedestal modern.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0023