Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Newhouse Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(2). Newhouse Farm, house, dairy and stable, and barn, 100 yards S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars. It is of early 17th-century date and is built on a rectangular plan. Several of the windows retain their old moulded frames and mullions; the windows were originally unglazed and some still have their original internal shutters. Inside the building the ceiling of the southernmost room on the ground floor has a moulded plaster border immediately adjoining the ceiling-beams. The doorway to this room has an old frame with segmental head and a battened door with an old iron scutcheon. On the first floor are some panelled partitions with long stop-chamfered panels. The Dairy, S. of the house, is partly timber-framed; the roof is covered with corrugated iron. It is of early 17th-century date, but the S. wall and part of the N. wall have been rebuilt in stone at a later date. Late in the 17th century the stable was built at the W. end. In the timber-framed N. wall of the dairy is an old segmental-headed doorway.


The Barn, N.W. of the house; is partly timber-framed ; the roof is covered with corrugated iron. It is of five bays; the roof-trusses have sloping struts between the tie-beams and principal rafters.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0030