Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Lower Newton Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(5). Lower Newton Farm (Plate 21), house, 640 yards S. of (4), is partly timber-framed with wattle and daub panels and partly of rubble. The house is of T-shaped plan with an E. cross-wing. The S. end of the cross-wing is of late 15th or early 16th-century date and, with the exception of the S. wall which was of stone, was originally timber-framed. The N. end of the original house was remodelled and the walls were mostly rebuilt in stone c. 1700, when the existing W. arm was added or rebuilt. Later in the 18th century the N. end of the cross-wing was added. At the S. end of the E. front is a length of exposed timber-framing with a large double doorway. In the northern half of the front is an old doorway with a chamfered frame. Inside the building, a room in the cross-wing has a fireplace spanned by a stop-chamfered wood lintel. The cross-partitions between the ground-floor rooms are of timber with stop-chamfered framing.


Condition—Of main house, fairly good;   of S. end of cross-wing, poor.


Plate 21



Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_nwt_0028