Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Cwarelau [Quarelly]: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(6). Cwarelau, house and barn, 720 yards W.N.W. of (5). The House is of L-shaped plan, with the wings extending towards the S. and W. The E. end of the W. wing is of 15th-century origin, and the S. wing dates from later in the 16th century. In the 17th century the W. wing was extended to form what is now a cattle-shed. The entrance doorway in the N. wall has an old stop-chamfered frame, and there are three doorways with stop-chamfered frames in the N. wall of the cattle-shed. Some of the windows have old frames. Inside the building, in the 15th-century wing, are four exposed crutches. On the ground floor, the partitions are all of timber with chamfered framing and long vertical panels between the posts; all the doorways in these partitions have flat segmental-pointed heads. There are some battened doors in the S. wing. The kitchen has moulded beams and joists, and in the back kitchen is a wide, open fireplace with a stone lintel. Another fireplace has chamfered oak jambs and lintel.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of two storeys. It was built c. 1600, probably as a dwelling-house. Late in the 17th or early in the 18th century the S. wall was removed and the building was extended southwards. In the N. wall is an original doorway with an old chamfered frame and an original four-light window with diamond-shaped mullions. In the E. wall of the original building are four similar windows. There are similar windows in the W. wall, but some of these have been blocked. In the roof are three old trusses with sloping struts between the tie-beams and principal rafters.
Condition—Of house, fairly good ; of barn, poor.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments