Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Quakers Farm, House and Barn: architecture, construction and history

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley


Up to 1700



(14). Quaker's Farm, house and barn, ½ m. N.W. of (13). The House was built early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. Shortly after a lean-to addition was added along the whole of the N. side, and the E. end of this has been extended towards the N. in modern times. The E. front has a small porch with a lean-to roof carried on a stop-chamfered angle post. The entrance doorway (Plate 35) in the wall behind has a heavy chamfered frame and an original nail-studded door of heavy planks hung on two ornamental strap-hinges. Some of the windows have their original chamfered wood frames and mullions, and one in the S. wall is moulded. The chimney-stack on the S. end of the S. wing is surmounted by two square shafts set diagonally.


The Barn, S.E. of the house, retains two crutch-trusses, probably of 15th-century date, and a few old timbers in the framing, but has otherwise been almost entirely rebuilt.


Plate 35: Doors



Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0233