Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Lower House Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:

Michaelchurch Escley


Up to 1700



(18). Lower House Farm, house, barn and stables, on the S. side of Escley Brook, ¼ m. N.N.W. of (14), is of 17th-century date. The House has been entirely modernised.

The Barn is of weather-boarded timber-framing; the roofs are covered with corrugated iron. Internally it is divided into four bays by crutch-trusses which rise from the ground to the apex of the roof. The Stables retain their old doorways with heavy oak frames.


Condition—Of farm-buildings, derelict.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0227