Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Tanhouse farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(15). Tanhouse Farm, house on the E. side of the road, 240 yards S.S.E. of (14), is of rubble with some timber-framing. It was built probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. Late in the 17th century the E. wall, which had a timber-framed upper storey, was cased in stone and it is possible the rest of the house was treated in the same manner. At the same time the southern end of the building, which is now used as a barn, was lengthened. There are considerable modern additions. In the middle of the W, front is a projecting porch of two storeys with loops in the side walls. In the main wall are two windows with oak frames. The barn, which is incorporated in the S. end of the building, has three old roof-trusses.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0079