Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Llanwonog Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(40). Llanwonnog Farm, house, 760 yards N.W. of (39), dates probably from late in the I4th century. The old part of the building is of L-shaped plan with the main wing or original hall-block projecting towards the N.W. and the shorter wing projecting towards the S.W. In the I7th century an upper floor was inserted in the hall-block and the chimney-stack at the N.W. end of the hall added. In modern times a new building has been erected on the N.W. end of the old building, partly on the site of a former N.W. wing, and there are later outbuildings at the S.E. end of the original house. On the S.W. front the eaves of the roof of the hall-block are brought down to the first-floor level; in the N.W. end of the hall-block is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, and S.E. of it is a blocked single-light window ; along the wall is a stone seat. On the N.E. front are two windows, one with an old oak lintel, the other with reset chamfered stone jambs. There are two windows on the S.E. end, one with an old oak frame, the other of a single light with a deeply splayed sill. Inside the building, on the ground floor, S.W. of the inserted chimney-stack, is an old doorway with chamfered ogee-head.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0066