Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Celyn: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(44) Celyn, house, 740 yards E. of (43), dates possibly from the 15th century, but was remodelled in the middle of the 17th century, when a small E. extension was added. A wing has been built at the W. end in modern times. On the N. front are two three-light windows, with moulded frames and mullions. Inside the oldest part of the building, which is lower than the modern addition and no doubt originally open to the roof, are three crutch-trusses. A partly blocked fireplace on the ground floor has chamfered jambs and square head and one doorway has a chamfered 17th-century frame.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_lon_0052