Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Lower House Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(13) Lower House Farm, small farmhouse, 230 yards E. of (12), was built in the 16th century on a rectangular plan with a projecting chimney-stack on the middle of the N. wall; it has modern additions on the S. side. Enclosed within the W. side of the chimney-stack on the N. wall is a semi-circular staircase over which the main roof is carried down as a lean-to; the two diagonal chimney-shafts have been rebuilt. Most of the window openings are original and have flat projecting labels; nearly all retain their heavy oak frames with diamond-shaped mullions to some of which leaded glazing was pinned during the 17th century. In the S. wall, which is mostly covered by the modern additions, is a doorway with a flat stone hood supported on two moulded wooden brackets. Inside the building the ground-floor partitions are timber-framed with wood panels and have segmental lintels to the door-frames.




Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_llv_0027