Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Parish Church of St Peter: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(1). PARISH CHURCH OF ST. PETER stands in about the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone-rubble with worked dressings of the same material and of tufa; they are not plastered internally; the roofs are covered with modern slate. The Chancel is of late11th or early 12th-century date, and the Nave is possibly of the same date but retains no details of that period. In the first half of the 17th century the nave appears to have been re-roofed, some new windows were inserted, and the South Porch was perhaps then built or rebuilt. The building is said to have become ruinous and disused, but was restored to use in 1895. The nave has been lengthened slightly and the W. wall rebuilt.

Among the fittings an early bell rehung in the modern bell-cote is noteworthy.


Architectural Description—The Chancel (14 ½ ft. by 11 ¼ ft.) has in the E. wall a low lancet with a distorted three-centred rear-arch and stepped internal sill; it is probably of late11th or 12th-century origin, altered to its present form in the 13th century; the wall below this window is about 5 inches thicker than above it. In the N. wall is a small rectangular light with semi-elliptical internal arch and stepped inner sill; it also is probably of late11th or early 12th-century date. In the S. wall is a window of two square-headed lights, probably of 17th-century date; the mullions and part of the E. jamb are modern and the inner lintel is of oak; farther W. is an early 17th-century doorway with moulded oak frame and segmental arched lintel. The chancel-arch is modern, with the gabled wall above.


The Nave (37 ft. by 15 ft.) has in the N. wall a window of two square-headed lights, probably of 17th-century date. In the S. wall are two modern windows; the S. doorway is probably of 17th-century date rebuilt, and has chamfered jambs and a four-centred head. The W. wall has been rebuilt in modern times and is surmounted by a modern bell-cote.

The South Porch has an entrance-archway of 17th-century date, with stop-chamfered jambs and four-centred head, half of which is modern. In each of the side walls is a small rectangular light.


The Roof of the chancel has two plain collar-beam trusses which may be of the 17th century but are more probably modern, short lengths of the moulded and embattled wall-plates at the E. end of the N. wall and at the W. end of the S. wall are of 16th-century date but the remainder appear to be a modern copy. The roof of the nave is probably of 17th-century date and is divided into bays by eight collar-beam trusses with curved braces, segmental-arches below the collars and a moulded central purlin; three of the trusses have moulded tie-beams; the curved braces are moulded, except the two westernmost, one of which is plain and the other chamfered; the boarding is modern, as is also the W. end of the roof over the modern lengthening of the nave. The roof over the S. porch is partly old; it has five trusses of collar-beam type with curved braces forming segmental arches below the collars, and retains on both side walls much of the old mould cornice and wall-plate; the boarding is modern.


Fittings—Bells :  two, in modern bell-cote, (i) probably 17th-century, (2) of long, slender form, probably 13th-century.    Chest: (Plate 28) in nave—at W. end, of " dugout" type with top rebated for lid; lid hung on two strap-hinges and retaining one clasp and portions of another with one iron lock-plate on chest, I3th-century Churchyard Cross: on three square steps, square base with stopped angles, chamfered upper edge and modern cross, 14th-century.    Door: to S. doorway of chancel of battens, with segmental head, 16th-century.    Font: with octagonal bowl with curved sides and octagonal to square stem on modern base, 13th-century.   Locker: in   chancel—in   N. wall, small rectangular.    Monuments :  in churchyard—S.E. of S. porch, (1) to James Scudamore, 1690, Thomas Scudamore, 1720, and others, stone slab with moulded edge;   (2) to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Scudamore, 1653, John Scudamore, 1695, and Blanch, wife of James Price, 1714, stone slab with moulded edge. Pulpit: (Plate 59) of oak, consisting of two sides of octagon erected against N.E. angle of nave, with panels carved with arabesque and other ornament, and upper panel on S. side with date 1632; built up with 17th-century and 18th-century or modern work, at back, initials and date I. G. 1745. Seating: in chancel—quire-stall with plain seat and panelled back and ends of 18th-century date, and front made up of early to mid 17th-century panelling with return ends of 18th-century work.


Condition—Good, much restored.


Plate 28: Church chests

Plate 59



Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_llc_0018