Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


White Haywood Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(12). White Haywood Farm, house (Plate 15), 700 yards S. W. of (11), was built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E., probably in 1635, the date on a partition between the two wings. It is possible, however, that the E. wing may be somewhat earlier. In the E. wall of the S. wing is an original four-light window with moulded oak frame and mullions, and in the E. wall of the E. wing are two old windows, the lower of five lights with diamond-shaped mullions and the upper originally of four lights. Inside the building all the partitions on the ground floor are original; the door in the easternmost partition is battened and hung on two strap-hinges to posts which have been cut into on either side apparently to admit the passage of barrels. There is a battened door in the partition between the two wings, hung on two strap-hinges to the frame, which has a segmental lintel on which is the date 1635. The doorway in the cross-partition in the S. wing has a segmental head.


Plate 15



Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0131