Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Rockyfold Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(7). Rockyfold Farm, house and barn, 800 yards S.E. of the parish church. The House was built in the 16th century on a rectangular plan with a central projecting porch-wing on the S.E. front. A later dairy has been added at the back of the house. On the S.E. front the inner entrance doorway has heavy oak posts and lintel with a three-centred arched head below; the door is of old oak battens on which are planted fillets which originally followed the contour of the arch; the door is hung on two strap-hinges with shaped ends, and there is an old iron knocker. Inside the building, on the ground floor, the old oak partitions have heavy chamfered studs with narrow vertical panels about the same width as the studs ; the two doorways opening from the entrance lobby respectively to the living-room and kitchen have flat triangular heads. The doors to the staircase and the dairy are both of old oak battens with strap-hinges. The staircase has heavy oak treads. The Barn, N.E. of the house, has the roof divided into three bays by trusses with heavy oak tie-beams and principal rafters.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0127