Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Middle Blackhill Farm: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(15). Middle Blackhill Farm, house, 640 yards S. of (13), may be of 15th-century origin. It was probably a small rectangular building lengthened eastward in the 16th or 17th century when an upper storey was inserted in the original building. This upper storey has been heightened in modern times. The entrance doorway in the S. front has an old chamfered frame and battened door hung on two strap-hinges with ornamental ends. In the E. wall is a three-light window with old oak frame and mullions. Inside the building, W. of the central chimney, are two crutch-trusses one of which has had one leg cut away at the ceiling-level. In the wall dividing the earlier from the later part of the house is an original stone doorway with chamfered jambs and three-centred head. There is an old oak framed partition with wide panels across the W. end of the building, and one doorway in the entrance lobby has an oak frame and segmental lintel.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0123