Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244


Transcript of Original Publication


Gilberts Place house and stables: architecture, construction and history

Place name:



Up to 1700



(5). Gilberts Place, house and stables, ½ m. W. of (4). The House was built early in the I7th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N. end;   it has been altered in modern times. The Stables, W. the house, were built in the 16th century as a small dwelling-house. In the N. wall is an original six-light window with diamond-shaped mullions and a chamfered oak frame the head and sill of which are rebated for an internal shutter.    The chimney-stack has been removed and most of the large fireplace in the N. wall has also been taken down. Against a boundary wall to the S. of the house is an old alcove. It is built of rubble and has a semi-hexagonal head. It is possibly of the 17th century, but has no distinctive features.


Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments


Ordnance Survey Map Reference and Index of Parish Properties


Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0121