Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Newhouse Farm: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(2). Newhouse Farm, house, dairy and stable, and barn, 100 yards S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars. It is of early 17th-century date and is built on a rectangular plan. Several of the windows retain their old moulded frames and mullions; the windows were originally unglazed and some still have their original internal shutters. Inside the building the ceiling of the southernmost room on the ground floor has a moulded plaster border immediately adjoining the ceiling-beams. The doorway to this room has an old frame with segmental head and a battened door with an old iron scutcheon. On the first floor are some panelled partitions with long stop-chamfered panels. The Dairy, S. of the house, is partly timber-framed; the roof is covered with corrugated iron. It is of early 17th-century date, but the S. wall and part of the N. wall have been rebuilt in stone at a later date. Late in the 17th century the stable was built at the W. end. In the timber-framed N. wall of the dairy is an old segmental-headed doorway.
The Barn, N.W. of the house; is partly timber-framed ; the roof is covered with corrugated iron. It is of five bays; the roof-trusses have sloping struts between the tie-beams and principal rafters.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments