Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Parish Church of St John the Baptist: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(1). PARISH CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST stands near the eastern boundary of the parish. It was built in 1842, but has the following fittings : Chest: In nave—of oak, with front framed in three panels enriched with lozenge-design, top-rail carved with foliage-ornament, bottom-rail moulded and styles and muntins carved with guilloche-ornament, lid panelled; early 17th-century. Font: round bowl, cut down and retooled, late I2th or early 13th-century, base with shallow moulded edge, probably 13th-century. Plate: includes secular bowl of 1682, with lower part enriched with acanthus-leaf repousse work and with two cast scroll handles at sides. Pulpit: two sides only, each having bolection-moulded panels forming a geometrical design, with a boss carved with a grotesque beast-head and foliage in the middle, frieze below enriched with reed-ornament, base with honeysuckle in relief and cornice with dentil ornament; at the angles and against the S. wall are Ionic columns on panelled bases; early to mid 17th-century, book-board and pedestal modern.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments