Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Old Kates Cottage and Barn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(22). Old Kates, cottage and barn, 740 yards W. of (21). The Cottage is of early 17th-century date. It is now used as a farm-store and has been partly re-roofed with iron. One doorway and a window retain thin, old oak frames. Inside the building, at either end of the central cross-wall, is an old oak doorway with an arched head, and there is a similar doorway to the winding staircase. The staircase is of stone with heavy oak baulks for treads.
The Barn, S. of the cottage, is divided into three bays by two pairs of crutch-trusses; the side walls are timber-framed and weather-boarded.
Condition—Of cottage and barn, poor.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments