Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Blaenau: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(21). Blaenau, two cottages, 320 yards W.S.W. of (20). The northernmost cottage was built in the 16th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the N. end. A porch was added on the E. side of the S. wing probably late in the I7th or early in the 18th century. Inside the building the oak partitions are of the local type. One of the ceiling-beams in the upper floor is supported on shaped and enriched brackets. The southernmost cottage is now used as a shed and has been re-roofed with iron. It has an old chamfered oak door-frame and an original five-light window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building is an original timber partition.
Condition—Of N. cottage, poor; of S. cottage, bad.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments