Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Welsh Hunthouse: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(27). Welsh Hunthouse, house and cow-shed, ½ m S.E. of (26). The House, a few yards N.W. of a modern farmhouse, dates probably from the 15th century. A projecting W. wing appears to have been added in the 17th century when the S. end of the main block was either built or largely remodelled. In the E. wall is old battened door hung on strap-hinges, and in the W. gable of the projecting wing is a four-light window window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building the main block is divided into three bays by two original crutch-trusses each of which has a collar-beam tie.
The Cow-shed is built against the S. end of the modern farmhouse and is of the same date as the old house. In the S. wall are three doorways, two of which have old frames. The gable above is weather-boarded. Inside the building is a crutch-truss similar to that in the old house.
Condition — Of house and barn, bad.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments