Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Wain Farm: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(43). Wain Farm, house and barn about ½ m. E. of (42). The House is of two storeys with attics. It is of mid 17th-century date, but probably incorporates an earlier house. About 1700 it was extended toward the N. and there are modern additions. On the E. front is an entrance doorway with a stop-chamfered frame and a battened door with strap-hinges. On the W. front is an original four-light window with ovolo-moulded frame and mullions, and on the first floor, now hidden by the modern addition, is a three-light window with moulded frame and mullions. The doorway in the S. wall of the projecting W. wing has a chamfered frame and battened door. Inside the building, some of the doorways have old chamfered frames and battened doors.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is partly of rubble and partly of weather-boarded timber-framing; it has a projecting porch on the N. side and is of four bays.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments