Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Upper Wern-ddu: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(33) Upper Wern-ddu, house, about ¾ m. N.W. of (32), is of two storeys with attics. It was built in the 16th century on a rectangular plan and has, at the E. end, a late 18th-century addition. In the N. wall the entrance-doorway has a square frame with a segmental sub-head. The door is of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges. One window on the ground floor and three windows on the first floor have old frames; they were originally each of six lights with diamond-shaped mullions. There are some windows of a similar type in the S. wall and in the E. end. Inside the building, the W. room on the ground-floor has moulded ceiling-beams. One of the doorways has chamfered jambs and a flat lintel with a segmental head below it.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments