Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Upper Bryn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(36). Upper Bryn, house and barn, about 1 m. E. of the Castle. The House dates from early in the I7th century, but in modern times the E. end has been mainly rebuilt and extended and the W. end has been turned into a barn and store. Two old doorways with chamfered frames and battened doors remain in the W. end of the building, and inside on the ground floor is an old cross-partition with chamfered framing and long vertical panels.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of four bays and is mainly of weather-boarded timber framing with some rubble walling. In the N. wall is a four-light window with oak frame and diamond-shaped mullions and in the E. wall is a similar window of five lights.
Condition—Of house, bad.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments