Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Pent-yr-ynys: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(38). Pent-yr-ynys, house and outbuilding, on S. side of the road ½ m. E.S.E. of the Castle. The House was built late in the 16th century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards the S. and W. The S. wing was either built or largely rebuilt c. 1700. Some of the windows have old frames. Inside the house all the partitions on the ground floor are of timber and have stop-chamfered posts and long vertical panels. The doorways to the stairs and passage have segmental heads. In the pantry-partition is a similar doorway with large segments cut out of both jambs a little above the floor level to admit the entry, probably, of barrels. There are three old battened doors.
The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, has a barn at the E. end, entirely rebuilt except the S. wall. In the N. wall are two original doorways with chamfered frames and battened doors. In the W. wall is a four-light window with an oak frame and diamond-shaped mullions.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments