Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Middle Trewern house and barn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(45). Middle Trewern, house and barn, 1,000 yards N.N.W. of (43). The House is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end. The W. arm dates from c. 1600, but the S. end of the E. wing may be earlier. The N. end of the cross-wing is an extension or remodelling of the 17th century. Some windows have old frames and diamond-shaped mullions. Inside the building are three early 17th-century partitions with chamfered heads, posts and sills and long vertical panels between the framing. Three doorways have roll-moulded frames and elaborately shaped heads below the main heads. The doorway leading to the N. half of the cross-wing has a heavy chamfered frame, segmental arched head and a battened door. The staircase in the W. wing is original and has moulded strings and a heavy rectangular newel at the foot, of pedestal form, and supporting a chamfered post of the timber partition. One room has moulded ceiling-beams.
The Barn, S. of the house, is partly of weather-boarded timber-framing. It is of five bays and an upper floor has been inserted at the E. end. In the E. wall are three doorways, two of which have old chamfered frames.
Condition—Of house, fairly good.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments