Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Church of St Peter: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(2) CHURCH OF ST. PETER, LONGTOWN, stands about midway between the N. and S. boundaries of the parish near the western border. The walls are of local rubble with dressings of a harder similar stone; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The only apparent evidence of the 12th century is a re-used capital serving as a piscina. The Chancel is of the 13th century and the Nave may have been of the same period, but now retains little old work. In the I4th century the existing E. window was put in the chancel. The roof is dated 1640. The building was restored in 1867 and the S. Porch is modern.
The building is of little architectural interest though the stone bench along the outside of the S. wall of the nave is unusual.
Architectural Description—-The Chancel (21 ¾ ft. by 15 ½ ft.) has a battering plinth. In the E. wall is a 14th-century window of two ogee trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil above, but with no main external arch. In the N. wall is a single lancet, old outside and with rebated jambs but modern internally. In the S. wall is a similar but wider lancet which is also modern on the inside. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (52 ½ ft. by 21 ¼ ft.) has the W. wall plastered externally. In the N. wall are two modern two-light windows of 13th-century design and in the S. wall are three modern windows with a 13th-century roll-moulded string-course below; the S. doorway is modern. Externally between the S. porch and the S.E. buttress is an old stone bench. In the W. wall is a tall modern lancet; the gable supports a modern bell-cote with arched openings for two bells.
The Roof of the chancel is of braced collar-beam type with the beams forming segmental arches under each pair of common rafters; the moulded wall-plates have modern cornices; the N. wall-plate is inscribed " ANNO 1640." The nave roof is modern, but retains three old tie-beams.
Fittings—Bells: two; inaccessible, one modern, but the other may be old. Chest: in nave—at W. end, plain hutch-type with notched ornament on angles, two strap hinges to lid and formerly two locks, 17th-century. Bracket: in chancel—on E. wall, N. of E. window, with beaded edges and splayed soffit, probably 14th-century. Piscina : in chancel—on S. wall, with square drain in head of scalloped capital, late 12th-century.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments