Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Great Hunthouse: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(28). Great Hunthouse, house and barn, nearly ¾ m. E. of (27). The House is of two storeys with attics. The E. front is gabled at the S. end, but the corresponding N. gable was destroyed in modern times. In the old gabled end, on the first floor, is a three-light window with an old wood frame and on the attic floor is a similar window of two lights. The W. front is also gabled at the S. end and has, on the ground and first floor, three-light windows with similar frames, and on the attic floor a two-light window. There is a three-light window with an old frame farther N. lighting the staircase, and there are three other old window-frames on the S. front. Inside the building some of the doorways have chamfered frames. The old roof to the S. wing has collar-beam trusses with chamfered and cambered collars.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of late 17th-century date and of three bays. Both the side-walls have a large doorway in the middle bay with a heavy frame and segmental head; in the side bays are loop-lights. In the E. wall are some windows with old frames.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments