Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Garn-galed: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(24). Garn-galed, house, cattle-shed and barn, 600 yards E.S.E. of Clodock church. The House is of early 17th-century date but the E. portion has been altered in modern times. The cattle-shed adjoins the house at the E. end. A doorway in the W. wall of the house has a heavy chamfered frame and an old battened door hung on strap-hinges. Further W. is a window with an original oak frame.
The Cattle-shed has, in the N. wall, a doorway with heavy chamfered frame and a battened door hung on strap-hinges. It is flanked by old windows with heavy oak frames and diamond-shaped mullions. In the W. wall is a similar window and in the S. wall is a five-light window with small diamond-shaped uprights sub-dividing the lights. On either side of this window is an old doorway with heavy chamfered frame and a battened door hung on strap-hinges. Above each of the windows and doorways is a flat stone hood supported on brackets. In the upper part of the walls are loop-lights. The Barn, N. of the house, is of late 17th-century date and of three bays with a central S. porch spanned by a beam dated 1675. The doorways in both the N. and S. walls have heavy chamfered frames. In the E. wall is a five-light window with old frame and diamond-shaped mullions with lights sub-divided with similar but smaller mullions. The other openings are single loop-lights.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments