Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Brooks Farm: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(19). The Brooks Farm, house, barn and cattle-shed, about 1 m. S.E. of Longtown church. The House is of two storeys with attics and was built in the 16th century on a rectangular plan with a two-storeyed S. porch and a small projecting wing, containing the staircase, on the N. side. The entrance-doorway on the S. front has a chamfered frame and a battened door with strap-hinges. Some of the windows have chamfered oak frames and mullions.
The Barn and Cattle-shed, N.W. of the house, form the S. and W. wings of an L-shaped building. The Cattle-shed is of one storey with a loft above and is possibly a little later in date than the barn. In the W. end of the cattle-shed are two doorways with chamfered frames and between them is a six-light window but the diamond-shaped mullions are now missing. There is a similar window and an old doorway in the S. wall. The Barn, of three bays, has small triangular and loop lights.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments