Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Oldhouse barn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(5) Oldhouse Barn, 520 yards N.E. of (4), is of one storey with a basement under the easternmost bay. It is of 17th-century date and was originally of timber-framing on a stone base. The easternmost bay was rebuilt in stone, probably early in the 18th-century, as was the remainder of the S. wall in modern times; a modern extension has been made at the W. end. The lower part of the timber-framed N. wall is weather-boarded and the upper part filled in with interlaced slats. Two roof-trusses are of the tie-beam and strutted-rafter type, and the two which surmount the cross partitions are of queen-post type. A second barn to the N.E. of the above has been rebuilt but incorporates some timber-framed walling of 17th-century date.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments