Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Lower Turnant: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(18) Lower Turnant, farmhouse, 320 yards W.S.W. of (17), is partly of two storeys and partly of one storey with attics. It is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N.E. and N.W. It was probably a timber-framed building but has since been encased in stone and had most of the N.W. wing rebuilt. In the upper part of the N.E. wall of the N.W. wing is some old exposed timber-framing. Inside the building, on the ground floor, the partition between the two wings is of heavy timber-framing and the doorway between the Living Room and entrance-passage has heavy stop-chamfered door-posts and a segmental head.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments