Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Daren Farm Barn: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(16) Daren Farm Barn (Plate 12), 700 yards W.S.W. of (15), is of late I5th or early 16th-century date. It is of one storey and of timber-framing on a stone base. It is divided into four bays by crutches which rise off the stone base and are tied together by tie-beams at the wall-head level; there are similar crutches in the end walls but these have collars as well as tie-beams. The truss between the two easternmost bays instead of a crutch is of tie-beam and strutted-rafter type. The E. wall is carried up in stone as far as the tie-beams. In the other walls the framing is for the most part open. In the second bay from the E. in both side walls is a large doorway. About 40 yards N. W. of the barn are the remains of a ruined farmhouse. In a length of wall now standing are two single-light stone windows with chamfered heads, jambs and sills. There is little evidence as to the date of the building which is possibly of about the same age as the barn.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments