Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Brass Knoll Farm: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(10) Brass Knoll Farm, farmhouse ¼ m. S. of (8), consists of one wing of a 16th-century house the rest of which has been destroyed and replaced by a modern addition. The end walls of the old wing are gabled and from the middle of the N. wall is a rectangular projection containing a semi-circular staircase. Most of the window-openings are original and have flat stone labels, and some retain their old frames. Inside the old wing all the partitions on the ground floor are constructed with stop-chamfered posts and wood panels with segmental-shaped lintels over the doors. There are three old battened doors hung- on strap-hinges. The window-boards are solid oak slabs about 5 in. thick, and the windows of the dairy and staircase have old oak shutters.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments