Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Mouse Castle: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(3). MOUSE CASTLE (Plan, p. xxxv), motte and bailey, on the top of a hill, ¾ m. N.E. of the church. The motte was no doubt originally circular, and about 43 yards in diameter, but the earth has been excavated from its sides, which for 7 ft. of their height are now precipitous. Surrounding the motte is a broad ditch which may have served as a small bailey, and surrounding it is a fragmentary rampart; there is a further outer rampart on the N.E. and E. The surrounding ground slopes downward rapidly in all directions except to the N.E., where for a short distance the slope is more gentle.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments