Hereford Public Library
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Herefordshire, Volume 1: H 936.244
Transcript of Original Publication
Dukes Farm: architecture, construction and history
Up to 1700
(11). Dukes Farm, house and outbuildings, 700 yards S.E. of (10), are built round three sides of a small yard. The House stands on the S.E. side of the yard and may be of 16th-century origin, but has been much altered. The Cartshed, which was built as a cottage, stands on the N.E. side of the yard and is probably of the same date as the house, and the S.W. wing containing the dairy is probably a 17th-century addition and has an added barn at the N.W. end. In the N.E. wall of the house is a window with a 17th-century oak frame, and in the S.W. wall of the cartshed are two old windows, each of three lights with oak frames and diamond-shaped mullions; in the N.E. wall of the dairy is an old doorway with a cambered lintel joined to a window with a heavy square frame. Inside the building the door to the old staircase is of 16th or 17th-century date, and has moulded fillets planted on; a doorway leading to the N.E. wing has an oak frame with a four-centred head. The barn adjoining has been partly reconstructed, but has one original roof-truss of modified queen-post type.
Description documented c 1930 by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments