Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Post Office Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Walterstone include:

Innkeeper: John Parry [Carpenter’s Arms]

Parish clerk: James Hoskins

Shoemaker [Boot maker]: John Parry

Shopkeeper: George Pitt

Vicar: Reverend Theophilus Morgan

Mentions property in Walterstone called:

Altyrynys [John Rogers]

Coda cottage [John Jones]

Coedy gravel [Edward Farr]

Goytre [John Farr]

Lower House [William Wilson]

New Buildings [David Jones]

Palisades [Edward Farr]

Pentwyn [David Jones]

The Common [John Gwillam]

The Cwm [William Prosser]

Vineyard [James Jones]

An image of the full 1879 Post Office Directory entry for Walterstone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor and principal landowners are James Gilbert Price of Llancillo Hall and John Rogers of Altyrynys. The architecture of the church is described, and there are Norman and Roman camps in the parish.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0009