Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and Professions named in Walterstone include:

Beer Retailer: Ann Parry

Carpenter: Herbert Pitt

Parish clerk: James Hoskins

Shoemaker: Ann Parry

Shopkeeper: George Pitt

Vicar: Reverend Theophilus Morgan

Wheelwright: Herbert Pitt

Mentions property in Walterstone called:

Altyrnnis (Alt yr ynys) farm [John Rogers]

Coed y gravel [Edward Farr]

Cwm farm [George Prosser]

Goitry farm [John Farr]

Lower House [Edward Welson]

New Buildings [David Morgan Jones]

Palisades [John Williams]

Pentwyn [David Morgan Jones]

The Common [John Gwillim]

The Common [Lewis Lewis]

Vineyard [James Jones]

Walterstone Court farm [John Rogers]

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for Walterstone are shown below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops, geology and other details of the parish. A school is about to be erected, and there is reference to a Norman Camp, a Roman Camp and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The history of Altyrnnis [Alt yr ynys] and the Cecil family is described.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0008