Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Walterstone include:

Innkeeper: John Parry [Carpenter’s Arms]

Schoolmaster: George Moss, Mary Jane Moss

Shoemaker [Boot maker]: John Parry

Shopkeeper: George Pitt

Vicar: Reverend Theophilus Morgan [since 1830]

Mentions property in Walterstone called:

Altyrynys [John Rogers]

Coda cottage [John Jones]

Coedy gravel [Edward Farr, William Williams]

Goytre [William Morgan]

Lower House [William Eckley Wilson]

New Buildings [Thomas Jones]

Palisades [Edward Farr]

Pentwyn [David Jones]

The Common [Emma Williams]

The Cwm [William Prosser]

Vineyard [John Jones]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Walterstone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor and principal landowners are the Scottish Union & National Insurance Co. of London and John Rogers of Altyrynys. There is a Board school built in 1877 for 60 children; average attendance 51.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0010