Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire
Trades and professions named in Walterstone include:
Blacksmith: Walter Jones
Bootmaker: John Parry
Innkeeper: John Parry [Carpenter’s Arms]
Insurance Agent: Edward Edwards
Parish clerk: Alexander Gordon
Schoolmaster: William Bowen Thomas
Schoolmaster: Miss Ellen Lilian Thomas
Shoemaker [Boot maker]: William Duggan
Vicar: Reverend William Smethurst Naylor [since 1901]
Residents and property named include:
Coed y gravel
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Walterstone is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor and principal landowners are the Scottish Union & National Insurance Co. of London, and Philip P Barnaby Esq. The architecture of the church of St Mary is described, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There is a public elementary school built in 1877 for 60 children; average attendance 40.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.