Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Walterstone include:

Bailiff [to Mr John Rogers]: John Watkins

Innkeeper: John Parry [Carpenter’s Arms]

Parish clerk: William Pritchard

Schoolmaster: James L Mitchell, Mrs Marion Mitchell

Shoemaker [Boot maker]: William Duggan, John Parry

Vicar: Reverend Plaskitt Charles Lewis [since 1887]

Mentions property in Walterstone called:

Altyrynys [John Rogers]

Coed y gravel [William Broom, Edward Farr]

Common [Philip Morgan, William Duggan]

Goytre [David Strachan]

Lower House [William Eckley Welson]

New Buildings [William Thomas]

Palisades [Ann Farr]

Pentwyn [John Watkins]

Cwm [Thomas Beaven]

Vineyard [John Jones]

An image of the full 1895 Kelly’s Directory entry for Walterstone is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor and principal landowners are the Scottish Union & National Insurance Co. of London, John Rogers of Altyrynys and Jeremiah L Rosher of Abergavenny. The architecture of the church of St Mary is described, and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There is a Board school built in 1877 for 60 children; average attendance 38.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0012