Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Jakeman & Carver’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Walterstone include:

Assistant Overseer: John Parry

Innkeeper: John Parry [Carpenter’s Arms]

Mason: William Pritchard

Parish clerk: William Pritchard

Schoolmaster: Thomas Henry Pugh

Shoemaker: John Parry

Vicar: Reverend Plaskitt Charles Lewis

Mentions property in Walterstone called:

Altyrynys [John Rogers]

Coedy gravel [Edward Farr]

Dairy farm [David Strachan]

Goitry farm [David Strachan]

Lower House [William Eckley Welson]

New Buildings [James Morgan Jones]

Palisades [Edward Farr]

Pentwyn [John Watkins]

The Common [John & Jane Jones]

Cwm farm [John Lewis]

Vineyard [John Jones]

Walterstone Court farm [John Rogers]

Images of the full 1890 Jakeman & Carver’s Directory entry for Walterstone are shown below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops and other details of the Parish are given. The Marquis of Abergavenny is Lord of the Manor. The church was restored in 1876 and its architecture is described There is a Board school for 60 children, average attendance 38, and a Primitive Methodist chapel. There is reference to a Norman Camp and a Roman Camp, the remains of a castle, and to Altyryns, formerly the property and seat of the Cecil family.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_wal_0011