Held at:

Private collection




Guest Contribution


Digital Archive – Guide to the history of the Chapel at Urishay Castle

Place name:

Urishay, Michaelchurch Escley




A guide to the history of the Chapel at Urishay Castle has been produced and published by the ‘Friends of Friendless Churches’ organisation, and is made available here with their kind permission.



The overall description given in the guide is as follows:


Urishay does not feature in Domesday Book (1086) but a later owner was Urri, who gave his name to the settlement – Urri’s Hay – hay meaning an enclosure. Urri probably erected the castle in the mid-12th century to defend the border with Wales, and is also likely to have built the chapel to serve his family and the garrison. It stands within what was the bailey or courtyard of the castle. The castle consisted of a sizeable motte, perhaps surmounted by a stone keep, and the bailey. What can now be seen are the ruins of a 17th and 18th century house, still inhabited in the early years of the 20th century, but mostly demolished in 1921.

The chapel is a single cell building, formerly covered with a continuous stone-slated roof, but now divided into a nave (ruined) and chancel. It is built of the local sandstone rubble.


The full guide, with pictures and description of the outside and inside of the chapel, can be downloaded here in PDF file format.




Top - Back

Ref: rs_mic_0306