Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Post Office Directory of Herefordshire

Place name:

St Margarets




Trades and professions named in St Margarets include:

Beer Retailer: Thomas Powells

Curate: Reverend Fred Trefusis Wybrow

Innkeeper: Mary Reece [Sun Inn]

Mason: James Lewis, William Powell

Shopkeeper: Thomas Howard

Mentions property called:  

Brook house [Edward Harper]

Coedpoath [George Jones]

Fair Oak [John Kedward]

Lower House [Walter Whitcomb]

Merryhurst [Thomas Evans]

Tanhouse [Alfred James]

The Corner [John Watkins]

Trecandever [James Powell]

Trevaker [?Trefecca] [Sidney Cole]

An image of the full 1879 Post Office Directory entry for St Margarets is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court arrangements and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described. Miss Rawson is [Lady] Lord of the Manor; she and Herbert Howorth Wood and the Marquis of Abergavenny are chief landowners.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0105