Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

St Margarets




Trades and Professions named in St Margarets include:

Assistant Overseer: Robert Howard

Beer Retailer: Edmund Harper

Blacksmith: William Davies

Butcher: James Gwilliam

Carpenter: Edmund Lewis

Curate: Reverend J Norton

Gamekeeper [To HH Wood Esq]: Thomas Howard

Innkeeper: Mary Rees [Sun Inn]

Mason: James Lewis

Shopkeeper: Edmund Harper, Thomas Howard

Mentions property called:  

Coed Pouth [George Jones]

Crossway [Edmund Harper]

Gilvah [Herbert Smith]

Gilvah [Joseph Watkins]

Iron Pear Tree [James Gwilliam]

Iron Pear Tree [Mary Williams]

Lower House [Walter Whitcomb]

Lower Llanon [Charles Jones]

Maireses [James Griffiths]

Merryhurst [Thomas Evans]

Old Farm [Thomas Fletcher]

The Corner [John Watkins]

Trecoediver [James Powell]

Trevaker [Sidney Cole]

Upper Llanon [William Howard]

Wells Green [Theophilus Gore]

Werm willim [William Pritchard]

Images of the 1876 Littlebury’s Directory entry for St Margarets are given below.


The Directory gives population, area, rateable value, types of crops, geology, election and county court arrangements and other details of the parish. Miss Rawson, Herbert Howorth Wood, William Henry Hamp and the Marquess of Abergavenny are the principal landowners. The architecture of the church [renovated in 1865-6] is described.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0104