Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Lascelles & Co.’s Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire

Place name:

St Margarets




Trades and professions in St Margarets include:

Blacksmith: Jonathan Cole

Mason: Thomas Price, James Lewis

Tailor: David Thomas

Vicar: Reverend Morgan Jones

Mentions property called:  

Fair Oak Farm [James Watkins]

Maerdy [William Watkins]

Tan House [William Prosser]

St Margaret’s Farm [Philip Jones]

An image of the full 1851 Lascelles Directory entry for St Margarets is given below.


Local farmers are named. This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_stm_0103